CIR is not affiliated with any faith tradition, but some resources from faith traditions are included as explanations for readers with relevant beliefs.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Committee on Health Care for Underserved Women. Access to Postpartum Sterilization: ACOG Committee Opinion, Number 827. Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun 1;137(6):e169-e176. Abstract here.
- Committee Opinion No. 695: Sterilization of Women: Ethical Issues and Considerations. Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Apr;129(4):e109-e116. Abstract here.
- Feser E. In Defense of the Perverted Faculty Argument. Neoscholastic Essays. South Bend, IN: St. Augustine’s Press. 2015. 378-415. Full text here.
- Arora KS, Ponsaran R, Morello L, Katabi L, Behmer Hansen RT, Zite N, White K. Obstetrician-Gynecologists’ Practices in Postpartum Sterilization Without a Valid Medicaid Consent Form. Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jul 1;138(1):66-72. Abstract here.
- Kluchin R. How Should a Physician Respond to Discovering Her Patient Has Been Forcibly Sterilized? AMA J Ethics. 2021 Jan 1;23(1):E18-25. Full text here.
- Ghandakly EC, Fabi R. Sterilization in US Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE’s) Detention: Ethical Failures and Systemic Injustice. Am J Public Health. 2021 May;111(5):832-834. Abstract here.
- Arora KS, Ponsaran R, Morello L, Katabi L, Behmer Hansen RT, Zite N, White K. Attitudes and beliefs of obstetricians-gynecologists regarding Medicaid postpartum sterilization – A qualitative study. Contraception. 2020 Nov;102(5):376-382. Full text here.
- Hapenney S. Divergent practices among Catholic hospitals in provision of direct sterilization. Linacre Q. 2013 Feb;80(1):32-8. Full text here.
- Bartz D, Greenberg JA. Sterilization in the United States. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Winter;1(1):23-32. Full text here.
- Welch LJ. Direct sterilization: an intrinsically evil act–a rejoinder to Fr. Keenan. Linacre Q. 2001 May;68(2):124-30. Abstract here.
- Zimmerman A. Contraceptive sterilization in Catholic hospitals is intrinsically evil. Linacre Q. 2001 Aug;68(3):262-73. Abstract here.
- Peterson HB, Xia Z, Hughes JM, Wilcox LS, Tylor LR, Trussell J. The risk of pregnancy after tubal sterilization: findings from the U.S. Collaborative Review of Sterilization. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996 Apr;174(4):1161-8; discussion 1168-70. Abstract here.